General Science Course Overview
General science is an introductory science class for 6th-8th grade students.
We will explore Biology, Anatomy and Physiology, Ecology, the Scientific Method, and simple machines. Students will begin to practice experimental exploration through hands-on labs to gain a deeper understanding of the material.
This class will give students an excellent foundation for future science classes.
Live Online Classes
The General Science class meets weekly for 90 minutes. The whole course is 30 weeks long over one year.
All classes are recorded. If a student does miss class, it is important to watch the class recording as soon as possible. It is important that students attend and participate in live class.
Students should save slides, take notes, ask questions, and participate in class discussions. The more actively that a student engages in class, the better he or she will understand the material.
Class Video Excerpt
Textbook / Curriculum
- Exploring Creation with General Science 3rd edition (2nd edition is not acceptable)
- History of Science, Lab Reports
- Famous Scientists, Lab Process
- The Scientific Method
- Experimental Variables, Collecting and Interpreting Data
- Experimental Design and Types of Graphs
- Science and Technology, Historical Records
- Evaluating Historical Records and Dating
- Archaeology, Geology, and Paleontology
- Astronomy: Sun and Planets
- The Moon and Space
- Earth and its Layers; Weathering and Erosion
- Geology and The Fossil Record
- Semester Wrap-Up
- Matter and Elements
- Mixtures, Elements, and Bonding
- Physical and Chemical Changes, Acids and Bases
- Newton’s Laws
- Forces and Simple Machines
- Waves, Sound, and Light
- Classifying Organisms
- Cells and Organelles
- Bacteria and Viruses
- Plant and Human Biology
- Marine Science
- Food Webs
- Semester Wrap-Up