Algebra 1 Course Overview
Algebra 1 is an introductory homeschool math class for advanced junior high and early high school students. Students will expand on ideas from pre-algebra and extend those concepts to various types of equations.
For so many students, math is a challenging and sometimes overwhelming subject. One of the most beautiful things about math is that it teaches students to be problem solvers, independent workers, and critical thinkers. The phrase, “I am just not good at math”, is not going to stop students in Algebra 1 from learning, growing and preparing for more advanced math classes in high school.
This online Algebra 1 class covers all topics such as linear and quadratic equations, understanding the fundamentals of graphs, exponents, solving equations, and critical thinking to solve all types of word problems.
Students will have recorded videos for each lesson in the book as well as in-class discussions of materials. Students work together, take notes, and work problems on the board to deepen their understanding in live class.
- Completion of Pre-Algebra
- BJU Algebra 1 Student Text, ISBN: 9781606820452; TI-83+, 84, or 84+ graphing calculator will be required.
- Operations with real numbers
- Order of operations and algebraic expressions
- Solving all types of equations
- Solving multi-step equations and equations with fractions/decimals
- Ratios, proportions, and percents
- Money, motion, and mixture word problems
- Conjunctions and disjunctions
- Relations and functions
- Function rules
- Graphing linear functions
- Slope and linear equations
- Parallel and perpendicular lines
- Graphing systems of equations, solving by substitution
- Solving systems by elimination, systems word problems
- Properties of exponents
- Scientific notation, exponential growth and decay
- Evaluating, adding, and subtracting polynomials
- Multiplying polynomials
- Dividing polynomials, greatest common factor
- Factoring polynomials
- Roots and Radicals
- Operations with radicals, Pythagorean theorem
- Radical equations
- Solving quadratic equations
- Quadratic formula and quadratic functions
- Graphing quadratics and finding zeros
- Simplifying, multiplying, and dividing rational expressions
- Adding and subtracting rational expressions
- Solving rational equations
My daughter has never done as well in math as she has with you. It’s now one of her favorite subjects.
“Great teacher. She explains math concepts and processes EXTREMELY well.”
“She was always smiling, patient, and interested in her students’ success.”
“Her commitment to teaching the students in difficult circumstances proved to be outstanding. She has clear communication, good recommendations, making class fun and engaging, making reviews fun for tests, using different colors when doing problems on board, making certain students understood processes.”
“I loved her class! She made the material fun & interesting. Classroom games for review were very helpful in studying for tests. Mrs. Lopez loves what she teaches and it was a great class and school year!”