Biology Class Overview:
Biology is the science of life, and this course will focus on the foundations of life as well as living organisms.
Students will discuss the following topics: cells, taxonomy, scientific method, chemistry of biology, genetics, bacteria, viruses, creation vs. evolution, biosphere, photosynthesis, invertebrates, vertebrates, plants, and ecology.
Students will perform labs and learn to write clear and effective lab reports. We will focus on understanding scientific inquiry, the scientific method, and analyzing and drawing conclusions.
- No pre-requisites are needed for this class.
- We will be using the Shepherd Biology book, 3rd edition.
- Students are asked to order our class lab kit as well.
Biology Course Outline:
- Introduction to living organisms
- Chemistry of life
- Cells and organelles
- Cell function and transport
- Cellular respiration
- DNA and RNA
- Protein Synthesis
- Meiosis and Asexual Reproduction
- Genes and Heredity
- Inheritance Patterns
- Inheritance Patterns in Human Genetics
- Creation and Evolution
- Plant Structure
- Plant Physiology
- Kingdom Animalia: Invertebrates
- Kingdom Animalia: Invertebrates Continued
- Kingdom Animalia: Vertebrates
- Human Body Systems: Nervous System
- Human Body Systems: Immune, Endocrine, and Excretory Systems
- Human Body Systems: Digestive, Circulatory, and Musculoskeletal Systems