Young Scientist Marine Science Course Description
Jump into this interactive, engaging exploration of the oceans and the life within them!
In the Young Scientist Marine Science class, we explore marine life from the deep sea to the shore, from microscopic organisms up to whales, including some taxonomy and even beachcombing tricks!
The design and order of God’s creation throughout the oceans is evident throughout, as well as His art and sense of humor.
We will explore with some:
- hands-on projects,
- early research,
- gentle & non-threatening oral reports,
- introductory lab report writing,
- and videos of these organisms in all their beauty.
This course is based on Apologia’s Swimming Creatures of the Fifth Day, but includes original material beyond the book information.
Parent Info: If you have a middle school student interested, the instructor will extend the depth of assignments to be age-appropriate.
- No prerequisites
- Swimming Creatures of the Fifth Day: Exploring Creation with Zoology 2 by Fulbright (ISBN-13: 978-1932012736, ISBN-10: 1932012737)
- No lab kit is required, but household items will be used for several projects.
Recommended Grade Levels
- 4th – 7th
- Intro to Marine Science, Taxonomy, Beachcombing
- Aquatic animals: Aqua Mobility, Filter Feeders, Currents, Fresh Water, Salt Water, The Continental Shelf, Abyssal Animals
- Seals and Sea Cows
- Aquatic Herps: Ectotherms, Turtles, Sea Snakes
- Reptiles vs Amphibians
- Primeval Reptiles
- Fish: Bony Fish, Gills, Fins, Stages of Life
- Sharks and Rays
- Crustaceans: Exoskeletons, Lobsters, Crayfish, Crabs, Shrimp, Barnacles, Trilobites
- Sponges, Sea Squirts, Leeches, Flatworms & Others
Thank you for the wonderful class! She really enjoyed all of the things that she learned! I have been so impressed by the class! She is excited to share with us and has made lots of connections with this class and her biology class. She loved it! Thank you!!