Middle School Math Course Description
This Middle School Math class will prepare students for Pre-Algebra.
Various strategies such as virtual manipulatives, online games, classroom activities, video clips, music, and the standard algorithms will be used in this course.
All of these training methods will be implemented to teach computations which will prepare the student for Pre-Algebra.
“This was my daughter’s first year doing online classes, and she has loved having you as a math teacher. She even told me she only wants to have you for math next year. Thanks for all that you do. Her confidence in math has soared high this year and it is attributed to your teaching.”
Live Online Classroom
Students are encouraged to actively participate in the live class. It is so much fun to collaborate with each other, write on the board, and view video clips. You can choose to talk during the class OR text me privately with answers to questions. No pressure. You will be comfortable in the online classroom. We work together to learn and practice each math concept. We all make mistakes, and that is how we learn! However, if you miss a live class, please watch the recordings promptly.
Students will be given 4 homework assignments, such as a worksheet or internet activity, to complete over a 4 day period. It is suggested that the student do 1 assignment per day so they can practice math every day. Homework should not be stressful; it will be a review of the topics covered during our online class. Homework will be given as handouts and/or online assignments.
The goal of homework is to reinforce and explore the concepts that were taught in class. This is a core class, and you will need to keep up with assignments. Contact me if your assignments will be late. I will work with you. Otherwise, 5 points off per day.
Students should conduct themselves appropriately with their speech and texts during our live class. Students who are unable to adhere to this type of conduct may be separated from the class or removed from the session.
- None (eBook and worksheets provided)
Additional Supplies / Resources Needed
- Colored Pencils
- Exponents, Order of Operations, Negative number Basics
- Variables, Expressions, Whole number Equations (1 step)
- Decimals (compare, order, equivalence) w/ negatives
- Decimals (all operations)
- Decimal Equations all operations (1 step)
- Divisibility Rules, LCM, GCF
- Fractions (compare, order, equivalence) w/ negatives
- Fractions (all operations)
- Fractions and Decimals
- Mixed Numbers (all operations)
- Decimals, fractions, percents
- Sales tax, discount, tip, simple interest
- Integers (add, subtract) (1 step equations)
- Integers (multiply, divide) (1 step equations)
- Integers (Order of operations)
- Integers (1&2 step equations- all operations)
- Square Roots, Cube Roots
- Whole Number Equations (2 step)
- Decimal Equations all oper ations (2 step)
- Fraction Equations all operations (2 step)
- Inequality Basics & 1 step inequalities
- Ratios, Rates, Indirect Measurement
- Statistics & Data (graphs, tables, plots)
- Geometry (lines, angles, triangles, polygons, etc)
- Coordinate Plane, Transformations
- Perimeter Area, Volume
- Three Dimensional Shapes and Operations