Online STEAM Club Description
STEAM (or STEM + Art) Club offers live online activities including an artistic or creative element, in addition to one or more of the traditional STEM subjects. For example, meetings could include creating art using STEM tools, or creating an engineering project where you take particular attention to aesthetics. It could be… any number of things really. The key is that it must cross the curriculum and encourage critical thinking skills in a meaningful way.
STEAM is a more engaging way to integrate and combine the concepts of science, technology, engineering, art, and math with a more hands-on approach.
STEM/STEAM is all about innovation, problem solving, and creativity!
Membership is per family. However, each family will share the same login account.
The club meets every week on Friday at 11AM (ET) for 12 sessions per semester (see schedule below). It is designed for middle school and high school homeschoolers.
Students will join the instructor live in Zoom and participate in hands-on STEAM projects along with the instructor and other students. Each week will consist of different themed activities, and there are assigned projects, build challenges, and research to be completed weekly where students may receive incentives.
Key Components of STEAM Include:
- Solving problems through innovation and design
- A combination of more than one STEAM subject, taught and assessed in tandem
- Students are encouraged to consider both the beauty and usefulness of art
- A collaborative, process-based learning environment
- A focus on real-life, social-emotional connections between disciplines
- A survey of STEAM career pathways
- Science Experiments
- Coding (Programming)
- Engineering Challenge Contests
- Graphic Design and Illustration (including step-by-step drawing lessons)
- Interactive Math Activities
Previous activities have included:
- Google Expeditions Virtual Reality Tours
- Electromagnetisim with homopolar motors
- Engineering Design Process building island survival huts
- Poster Design and Typography
- Designing Postage Stamps
- Building Bridges and Pulleys
- Solving some of the same calculations of NASA scientists using Pi
- Coding Apps in App Lab
Fall 2021 Schedule
|September||Friday 10, 17 & 24th||11:00AM – 12:00PM (ET)|
|October||Friday 1, 8, 22 & 29th||11:00AM – 12:00PM (ET)|
|November||Friday 5, 12 & 19th||11:00AM – 12:00PM (ET)|
|December||Friday 3 & 10th||11:00AM – 12:00PM (ET)|
Student Projects Slideshow
Meet the Teacher